Thursday 16 February 2017

"THE RAMBLER" "Slaying Of The High King" - Part Three Post Three

This quartet of frames is predominantly about just how fickle some of the time-traveller's adventures can be and rather nicely demonstrates one of the darker sides of the titular character; in that he isn't always present to ensure that 'good' people survive. I rather enjoy depicting this aspect of the Rambler as it hopefully makes such stories stand-out from the norm.

In addition Brian Boru and his bodyguard's frame provides yet another 'historic' insight into the Battle of Clontarf by referring to the plight of the High King's Dublinmen, who died whilst crossing the river Liffey. With hindsight this particular tale is overloaded with such 'snippets', but at the time of its writing I wanted to populate as much of its dialogue with as many ancient Irish excerpts as I could.

As Longphort desperately tries to convince his sovereign to take up arms against his mortal enemy, the Rambler discovers that the King's noble bodyguard knows far more about weaponry than an ancient Irishman should... 

2 comments:

  1. There is no doubt at all that you know your ancient Irish history, Simon. You could have made up any tale and any names and I'd have been none the wiser. But I can fully understand and appreciate your desire to keep things as accurate as you can. I also like the darker side of the Rambler. It makes him a much more interesting character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan, but my ancient Irish history extends as far as my reading :-) But I do like to keep things 'historical' if I can.

      Delete